Tuesday, August 10, 2021

That Quarantine Life

I've been in Quarantine for about 3 days now. Here's a little of what it's like. 

3 times a day, food is delivered to your door. The doorbell rings and you can pick up your meal. 

Around lunchtime, you can put your bagged trash outside the door for them to pick up. 

Trash in Korea is different from the States. Because Korea is a small country, they are careful to not fill up their land with landfills. They try to recycle as much as possible, and they compost food scraps. I'm big on composting too, so this makes sense to me. 

Here's my front door. 

It has a motion sensor light above the door and in the closet! So cool! The door on the right is the bathroom. 
It's a really nice clean bathroom. It even has a bidet! I'm not brave enough to try it out. But I will tell you that it has a seat warming feature. 
Obligatory bathroom mirror selfie
I love how the hotel provided products smell! They're baobab. And they have a light scent. I've used a few rando products recently, and this baobab shampoo and conditioner make my hair feel nice. 
I also love reading the products. 

Please excuse the clutter on the floor in this next picture. My luggage broke and I am still sorting the items and trying to figure out how to best repack everything so that nothing falls out when I move out from here. 
I spend time at the desk to eat and to do online orientation for my job.  
The bed is huge! And there's a tv on the wall opposite the bed. It's so comfortable. I can lay there and watch Korean tv. I've been watching dramas in the evenings. Which reminds me, I could be listening to Chinese dramas right now! The tv has a Chinese channel and a Japanese channel. This really suits my taste. It feels homey to me. 

I can also look out the window and enjoy seeing the faces of other teachers in quarantine here. 


The plant is fake. So no worries about how it gets watered. 

I'm sure quarantine is not easy for everyone. But so far I'm doing pretty good. I am good at keeping myself amused. I brought some books. I have things I can study. I brought notebooks and pens. I can do yoga (this bed is pretty good for yoga). I can chat to people back home and share these photos with you. And I can work on ideas for lesson plans. One interesting change is that sometimes classes may be taught online through something like Zoom. Although I have 2 years of in-class teaching experience, I have never taught online. I'm kind of excited to try it. How can I adapt activities? What other kinds of activities are possible because it's a computer format? How can I keep students on task? I like the challenge. 

I'm also studying Korean. You might already know, but I'm a language nerd. I could spend a really long time studying. 

Oh, one more thing! In organizing my things, I found that nothing is missing from my luggage! The left flip flop that was missing somehow ended up in the bottom of the bag. The very bottom. Despite its having been on the top. Also the sash I couldn't find was in the other checked bag. I know for a fact I packed that sash with the dress. So I think when the bag was broken by whoever broke it -- they tucked the sash in the other bag to keep it safe. I'm glad everything is there. 

I'm still tired from the jet lag. But my stomach is adjusting to the time difference. The first 40 hours or so, my stomach was upset. It likes to get food at certain times, and when it doesn't, I get heartburn. At least I know this. I've got snacks to eat so I can keep my stomach settled. And last night I was able to sleep for 6 hrs straight! 

Okay. I should eat lunch and get to work on online orientation. 





 

 


4 comments:

  1. Your room looks nice. Hope you have a comfortable rest. And I am glad to hear you did not lose your any stuff even though your bag was broken. Try to enjoy your quarantine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it's very restful.
      I like the meals. Although I like my own kimchi more than their kimchi.

      Delete
  2. Glad everything was in your suitcases! Adjusting and sleeping! Love you, muchly!

    ReplyDelete