Friday, June 6, 2014

The Race - On Politics in South Korea

I'm interrupting my series on places I go to bring you a small, very small, look into the realm of South Korean political races, or advertising, really.

Wednesday, June 4th, was election day countrywide here. It seems to have been for local elections. And according to what I can make out from what I've heard from other expats, these elections happen every 3 or 4 years. Please correct any details that are wrong. I'd love to learn more (and before you say "why didn't you ask your co-teacher" - we've had a busy, hectic schedule the last month so I have had no time for non-school related conversations pretty much).

So here's what I've been experiencing the last couple of months.

First it was the random texts. The first one I noticed was one that read something like "Hello, how are you? (polite form) I'm so-and-so and I'm running for mayor of JP....."
I got that text like 3 months ago. In the last week, I think I was getting 3 or 4 such texts a day. >.<' And you thought American election commercials were bad? .... It's actually quite legal for these people to spam text you their ads.

Then the banners started showing up. I'd say they've been up for the last 2 months. We're talking banners on the sides of buildings that take up several stories of the side of the building. You can't miss them.

In the last 3 weeks or so, the game stepped up to a new level of invasion. The walking, paid political supporters.
Just your average street crossing? No. Look again. See the neon shirted people all in a row?
It's them. The political supporters. They are paid to stand and wave and smile at people. They hand out business cards. They will hound you on the street. You cannot escape them --- unless you have a white face like me. Then they ignore you. Sometimes they'll bow and maybe say hello. And a slim few of them won't care what you look like - they'll still try to give you a card. (one guy did. early one morning as i walked to school. not sure if my wearing a mask had him confused though)

Here's a better shot of them.


About 3 weeks ago, I was out to dinner with some girl friends and a political candidate was making rounds, telling people his plans and asking for support/votes. He actually stopped at our table and spoke a little English to us. He was very polite (and seemed to be over 50! it's rare older people speak any English!).

In the last 2 weeks, these have been popping up everywhere.
Just look at that! 
These trucks drive around and advertise for their candidate. They all have big screen TVs so you can see the candidates in action. They often blare loud slogans, or even display whole speeches given by the candidate. 
And on the back end there, do you see that white railing? 
Yes. This truck functions like a float in a parade. A one car parade. People stand on the back and wave. 
I've had the peace of my neighborhood disturbed by a few of these things. Some were drive-bys and one or two were parkers (they park and play a whole speech, blasting from loud speakers). 

In the week leading up to "the day", the political supporters were upping their game. Every major intersection in town was covered. And they were all singing and dancing. There's nothing like political slogans being sung to the tune of "If You're Happy and You Know It" and other familiar tunes (and some not so familiar). 
Ah, sweet synchronization. Such wave. Much support. Vote for me. 

I had to film the supporters in action. It was just too much. So here are two short clips. Sorry the quality sucks. Also, the uploader on here is... lame. So I will just link you. 

Blue #2 Supporters Wave/Dance of Support (encouraged by not only everyone stopping to watch the performance, but seeing others taking video and pictures, i got a better clip of this.)

Red #1 Supporters sing Happy slogan while onlookers dance too (the sound is almost non-existent for this. sorry! i was shy of filming, so I didn't get the best footage.)

Must.sleep.now. Getting up super early to go to Jeonju with my church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment